Thursday, September 27, 2007

Jena 6

The Jena 6 issue is a difficult one. The only news broadcast that I watched about it was on the "Free the Jena 6" website. They have a video of a news broadcast from their channel 8. One thing that I noticed about this clip was the comments from the black families. They said that the blacks had no chance in that trial because the jury was all white. It's really hard for me to believe that this is true, but then again I try to believe that we have gotten over the whole black vs. white thing. I know it's still out there, but it seems like we as a society should have grown out of that by now. I think that the jury did make a mistake by making the jury all white. If they had put blacks and whites in there, then maybe the families would have accepted the ruling more freely. I believe that all people, reguardless of color, should recieve the same ruling for the same crimes. If there was only a way to hold a trial without reveiling the race, gender or any characteristics of the person, things might run more smoothly and fairly. I would like to think as a judge in the United Stated of America, that the judge in this case made a educated and unbiased decision in his ruling. Many people said that the whites who hung the nooses in the tree should have recieved the same punishment as the blacks who beat up the boy. I understand that the nooses could have been seen as a threat and hurt their feelings, but actually commiting the crime is a different case to handle. I hope that that things turn out fairly.

No comments: